Paralimni Lyceum has been widely recognized as one of the most important educational and cultural institutions in Famagusta District over the past forty years. When the construction of our school was completed in 1969, its surrounding urban area was plainly designed. Over the years, the development of important projects in the area, such as the construction of Paralimni Gymnasium, the church of Agios Dimitrios and the Famagusta Police Department, contributed to the overall upgrade of the area. Nevertheless, no doubt there is still room for improvement. On this basis, the PULCHRA Team of Paralimni Lyceum will seek to improve the surrounding urban area of our school (by getting involved into urban environment redesigning projects).
Specifically, in the current school year 2020-2021 we will focus on the topic “Renovation of space – Innovative actions: Renovation of the area around the Lyceum of Paralimni”.
The planned actions can be summarized as follows:
1. Mapping out the research area.
2. Taking into consideration suggestions regarding aspects that need improvement in the surrounding area:
a) safety issues, such as access areas for the disabled, pedestrians, etc. b) improving the environment, for example the creation of green spaces, small parks, etc.
3. Creating a map, that will depict the current form of the surrounding area, as well as our team’s suggestions on its improvement.
4. Placing smart devices at key points in the area to assist pedestrians, e.g. water supply.
5. Scheduling meetings with public services, e.g. representative of the Department of Transportation and Works.